Saturday 14 June 2014

I have now been a 1st dan for just over six months. This post is a result of me reflecting on those months. They weren't totally productive but I don't feel like I've totally wasted the time ether. I've settled in to the role of a black belt a little more now, I still have a long way to go, but it's early days. This is some advice that I'd give to karateka who haven't been black belts for very long ether. I'm aware that the previous description won't fit some readers, but even if you haven't passed 1st dan recently, there might still be something of use to you in terms of general training, or at least, this will  make for an interesting read...

1. If, post-grading, you feel unsure where to carry on training from, do the things you might've been guilty of neglecting as a coloured belt. For me, this was studying the applications of techniques and the history of karate in detail. Being aware of these things early on is far from a bad thing. I'd say that if one isn't, the consquences of it are comparable with leaving certain things unsaid after an arguement with somebody; things build up overtime and start to have a negative impact.

2. It sounds ovbious yet it's so easily forgotten: don't expect too much of yourself too quickly. This can be easy to do as a karateka new to black belt, it's easy to assume things will be straightforward because, to put it simply, you've just become a BLACK BELT!!! The fact remains, however, that acheivement and progress in karate take time.

3. There's nothing wrong with learning the syllabus for 2nd dan, but don't focus solely on it, was what my sensei told me when I asked about it. Now, I see what he meant by it. Black belt  the point in training where you make karate your own. As a kyu grade, you learn the skills neccasarry for doing so. Theres a difference. It's impossible to train with the mind of a coloured belt as a black belt. Learn the syllabus, but do other things that contribute to karate being your own.

4. Different things work for different people, but personally, I find that keeping a training journal makes being fully responsible for training, as you are at black belt, more manageable. Making a note of feedback from sessions and what's happened in practice helps me take a more organised approach to my training if I'm not having to recall everything from memory.

5. If you're teaching yourself something, be aware there's more to it than just learning its shape off a youtube clip. Understanding it takes more than that, it requires extra research around what you're trying to learn(history, technical details, etc..) and possibly  asking your sensei questions about it.

6. When it comes to teaching, avoid making any judgements in the early days or expecting too much of yourself. I speak from experience when I say that it's no easy task, (one of my previous posts goes in to more detail about this). One thing to remember is that the role of a teacher in karate is to help the student learn, not to exert dominanace over them. Ask the student how they feel something is going and what they find particularly  difficult about something. It builds a good teacher-student relationship and makes your teaching more efficient if you know what to work on with the student.

7. Don't underestimate or forget the importance of your love of karate(which it's likely you have if you've progressed as far as 1st dan). Love will mean you are comitted and stick it out through the bad times. It means training will be a lifelong thing for you. Love is the connection between a martial artist and their training. Yes sometimes a colder interest is needed for the less enjoyable things in training, but that's done as a result of love for it.

8. Allow yourself to develop your own views on training to help make it your own- try writing a blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment