Saturday 10 May 2014

The Difference Between Wearing a Black Belt and Being One

I know I mentioned in my last post that I'd be writing something about issues regarding the belt system. Turns out that it's quite a broad, complex subject so getting together the final draft is taking longer than anticipated. Also, it would make for one heck  of a long post so what I might do is address the issue in a series of smaller posts. In the meantime, here's something concerning settling in to the role of a black belt, apologies for the delay.

My Sensei once said that the belt a karateka wore wasn't the one they were, but the one they were trying to live up to. At the time, I didn't make  anything of it. Now, however, I see what he meant. The belt I now wear is taking some serious living up to....

The increased responsibility is definitely a significant part of it. It's up to me now to make sure my techniques are up to scratch and teach myself stuff- and it's not just a matter of learning the shape of something off a YouTube clip, there's also understanding the technical innards of it, requiring even more research. The kyu grade equivalent would be getting any technical inaccuracy corrected by whoever is teaching them.

This equivalent is as a result of kyu grades not being at the stage where they're deemed ready to take on  full responsibility for their training. Because of this, I think  that instructors, to an extent, focus more on kyu grades during the average session. Their mistakes are pointed out to them. Black belts don't get this in the same way because they have that responsibility themselves. I've learnt that I need to look out for mistakes I make, myself, when doing karate. No apparent mistakes lead to inefficient practising and lack of self-motivation, so your karate can get much worse if you're not careful, as a black belt.

For a while, post-grading, I was stuck in that trap, if I'm honest. My practice really deteriorated for a while along with my self-motivation. I felt at a very loose end with my training. I wore a black belt but I certainly wasn't one.

I'm still not a black belt and being one will take a while. I'm trying to rectify my mistakes: building my practices back up, setting myself goals(eg: gaining a better understanding of certain katas) etc.... It will take a while to develop these skills well, so becoming a black belt is definitely a work in progress. I don't think anyone ever totally settles in to the role. Being a 'black belt' ,(training  hard and  honestly), is basically, ' being the best martial artist you are capable of being'. When we can always do better, can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment